From kids to the kid at heart everyone enjoys a nice big bowl of spaghetti (and bolognese sauce) and why not – its quick, easy, cheap and delicious! But much like breakfast cereal, I’ve always struggled with cooking the perfect ratio of noodles to sauce and I’m left with a hefty helping of delicious bolognese. If you find yourself in this unfortunate situation here are five delicious ideas for your left overs that will have you cooking up extra sauce in anticipation of these recipe remixes!
1. Sloppy Joe Sandwiches with Toasted Garlic – Turn last night’s dinner into tomorrow’s lunch. Simply reheat bolognese on stove top (cooking down the liquid if too saucy). Meanwhile, drizzle a hamburger roll (or kaiser roll) generously with olive oil, sprinkle with minced garlic and lightly toast. Use broiler or toaster oven on broiler setting to crisp up the insides without burning the outsides. Spoon a hefty portion of bolognese on toasted bread (squish down if your old-fashioned like me) and enjoy!
2. Homemade Chili – With leftover bolognese you’re already more than half way to a warm bowl of chilli. Simply reheat bolognese adding canned crushed, peeled tomatoes, a can of drained, rinsed kidney bean, sprinkle with cumin, paprika, black pepper and salt to taste. Bring to a bowl and enjoy with a sprinkling of cheddar cheese on top.
3. Homemade HotPockets – Spoon small amounts of leftover bolognese and shredded cheese into pre-made puff pastry squares. Seal tightly by firmly pinching edges and bake to directions on pastry package or until golden brown. Try to enjoy without burning your tongue.
4. MeatLover’s Pizza – Layer bolognese sauce on pizza crust (use store-bought to save time) as you would plain tomato sauce. Sprinkle generously with shredded cheese and add your favorite meaty toppings.
5. Freeze It! – Make a bolognese so delicious you don’t have the hearty to transform it unto something else? Throw it in an air-tight container and freeze it for later. Your future-self will thank for such an awesome meal with practically no effort!